5 ways to dig deeper into the word
Daily we should take the time in our reading to dig deeper into the Bible. Below are 5 different ways to dig deeper each day. Making a commitment to doing these things everyday will increase encouragement, hope, greater faith in God and help you to meditate or soak in the word of God. Try doing a single idea for a week to find what works best for you. Remember to keep a journal and pen ready to capture God’s insights.
- Underline or highlight key words or phrases in the passage your reading. Use a pen or highlighter to mark new discoveries from the text. Periodically go back over your markings to see what God is revealing to you.
- Put the scripture into your own words. Read and reread the passage or verse slowly, use a second translation that may be easier for you to understand, then rewrite each phrase or sentence in a way that you understand.
- Ask and answer your questions. (This may seem a little weird at first.) Questions will unlock new discoveries and meanings that lead to better revelations. Ask yourself questions about the passage using the 5 W's & H: who, what, why, when, where, or how. Write down thoughts on how you would answer these questions.
- Gain the big concept. God’s Word communicates big concepts. Periodically ask, What’s the thought to be conceived personalizein this sentence, paragraph, or chapter?
- Make the meaning personal. When God speaks to us through the Scriptures, we must respond. A helpful habit is apply the Bible through action. Ask: How can my life be different from this moment forward as I respond to what I’m reading?
One of the ways to keep track of your daily dig into the word is with the Hidden In God Prayer Planner. Use it to jot down the scriptures you read daily and expound on what you have read in the reflections area. Also after reading pray about what you have read so that God will increase your awareness of His word throughout the day. Use the planner to go back over the word and meditate on it day and night. It is your weapon of warfare after all.
Get Your Planner Today
Woman of God on a mission to spread love most of all, kindness and the truth about the Savior. I thank Him daily for saving and keeping me, bringing me into the knowledge of Him and steadily making intercession for me on behalf of the Father. Every lesson that I give goes to me first. I speak not as though I am different but that I am the same as any other follower of Christ, seeking wisdom and understanding from God and depending on Him fully to provide everything that I need in this life.